The editing process was done over a long period with all of us pitching in at different times.
Charlie and Rosie began the edit during the première pro workshop to get the audio and footage down so that we had something to work with. They did a really good job with editing the levels of the music and choosing the clips for the intro and the audio didn’t really change that much because we thought what they did worked perfectly. They used the ticking clock shot, that Danny took, first which set the scene for the film really well.
We all then came in to see what Rosie and Charlie had done to work as a group to continue the edit in a meeting where we could all contribute. Charlie and Rosie had logged all the interviews which made the editing process go much quicker and was really helpful when matching up the audio which Rosie took the lead on.
There were parts of the audio that needed serious work so Danny took that away with him to work on as we felt he was the best at audio editing and could do the best job at fixing it.
Once he’d done this it made it much easier for him, Charlie and Rosie to continue the edit, adding in the visual with really clear and crisp audio. Later that day we discussed what sort of type we wanted for name straps, credits, titles and subtitles and decided we wanted to use a smooth, sans-serif font that would look professional and also work well with the Viscom and Bramley Baths logos we were adding at the end.
Charlie and I looked at a variety of sans-serif types and tried them in full caps and lower case with correct caps to see which we liked and felt worked with our film.
In the end we decided on Avenir Medium. We really liked the names in caps but thought that having the names, the roles of our interviewees and subtitles in full caps was a bit too bold so we settled on having the names in full caps and the roles and subtitles in lower case with correct caps.
Our titles went over quite a bit of revision. Initially we thought we should have the logo at the beginning to tried that.
We didn’t think this worked so we tried using the font Charlie and I picked out instead.
We felt this looked better but having the ‘Over 60’s classes’ in lowercase wasn’t working but if we put it in full caps, it would clutter the first slide.
Before we changed this, we showed the film to our tutor. She gave us several changes that needed to be made. The film is a bit long and gets repetitive at times. There are sections where the audio levels need adjusting so that they all match each other and sections where the colour needs matching to all the other shots. She noticed that some of the audio was slightly out of sync as well. Some shots needed cutting and changing around so Rosie and I spent some time making these changes. Talking to our tutor was extremely helpful because we hadn’t realised a lot of these changes needed to be made.
The next day Danny, Abbie, Charlie, Chinatsu and I sat down to review the film after Rosie and I’s adjustments. We added all the name straps and changed the titles slightly.
I am really happy with my work on the type and graphics for the film, with the other’s help, I was able to make some really nice graphics and name straps.
Abbie edited the logos so that they were white and transparent so that they could go over the footage at the end.
Once we’d added all the text and graphics, we showed it to our tutor again to see if there were any final edits we needed to make before submission. She told us a few clips needed cutting and replacing, some needed more colour correction and the name straps needed putting up for longer.
Charlie, Danny and I went through and corrected the colour on the clips our tutor highlighted.
I think we did a good job on matching the colours up the best we could with what we had.
After this all that was left to do was for Danny and Charlie to make some slight audio adjustments and then upload the film.