Now I have all my content, I started experimenting with various layouts I could do for my book on indesign.
I quite like the idea of editing out all of the background so that I just have the street sign, it’s a very minimalistic layout that looks quite nice on it’s own on the page. However some of my photos were taken ad angles so it would be hard to make them look good as they aren’t face on which is what makes this one work.
Again, this image looks nice and simple on the page. This format could also work for all the images. However I feel it doesn’t show my skills as a designer that well as it’s so simple and there is so much more I could do, far more creatively in the book to illustrate the meaning behind my work and present it in a more attractive way.
The map as a full page piece could work well as a background to my content but on its own I find it lacking. As well as this, the marker on the map would be right in the spine of the book so could very easily get lost in print or distorted quite badly.
I feel about these layouts as I do about the ones of just the photographs, they look nice but I could be far cleverer with it than just placing them in the centre of each page.
Having the image work as a banner across the spread could potentially work well. With this photo, the break lies on the margin so the words aren’t distorted, however with some of the others, that may not be the case. I also find this banner slightly too big.
I much prefer the sizing of this one, but the same problem as above still applies.
Here is a perfect example of what I was talking about in the previous two layouts the ‘L’ lies on the margin so would probably be distorted in print.
I like the map as a background, it is a nice backdrop for the photos without distracting from them too much, though I feel full page bleed may be a bit too much. Also, the marker is completely hidden by the photo, defeating the point in it even being there.
I really like this layout. There is enough overlap between the photo and the map for them to be obviously connected without the map becoming a huge background piece and the marker not being visible the way it was in the previous layout. The only problem is the lightness of the background of the photo means half of it is invisible when not backed by the map.
This is the final layout I decided on for my photo book. I decided to alternate the page the photo is on every spread to add a nice variation to it. I also added a light grey stroke around the maps and a black stroke around the photos to harden their edges which I think looks better and solves the problem with ‘Hunter Hill Road’ half disappearing on the page.
This layout was the result of a lot of experimentation and I am very happy with my result.